Friday, October 26, 2007

All Hallows Week Post 2: Zombies

26 October 2007

Here we are, another day closer to Halloween and Mexico's Day of the Dead. So I've got another post ready to go, this one citing our favourite Zombie movies.

As you know, opinions are like Adam's Apples . . . everybody has one. So, I guess it doesn't matter much what I thin--

Okay, it's been brought to my attention that some freakish people are born without Adam's Apples. Yikes, I can't even imagine running into one of them in a dark alley some night.

Regardless, since these are only opinions, it doesn't matter what I think are the five best zombie movies out there. I would be curious what you think, though, even if I roll my eyes so violently I lose a contact lense when I hear you've got Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave on your list.

When tyranist and I first started the Horror Film Compendium, we had to make a couple of conscious choices about what categories fell into. Our biggest choice was, of course, whether something was a horror film or not (more often than not, we decided that it was), but I remember specifically discussing what the difference between a Zombie, a Ghost, the Undead, and something like Frankenstein's Monster is (if any). The distinction is sometimes hard to make, and I'm sure we called (I recall deciding that Jason Voorhees in the first two Friday the 13th sequels was simply a Psychopath, then became a Ghost, and was later an Undead.

Zombies are reanimated corpses, whether through voodoo, radiation, cosmic rays, or the pen of George A. Romero. I think one of the big qualifiers is that they be mindless (or mostly mindless), rather than laughing, supernatural creatures that were formerly dead.

Oh yeah, here are my five favourites:

1. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
2. Night of the Creeps (1986)*
3. Shaun of the Dead (2004)
4. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
5. Day of the Dead (1985)


And here are tyranist's favourites:

1. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
2. Night of the Creeps (1986)**
3. Return of the Living Dead (1984)
4. Dead Alive (1992)
5. Plague of the Zombies (1966)


This list gives me comfort, for while I may not ever be a scientist, a werewolf, or an alien, I know that someday soon, I'll at least be dead.

Rish Outfield

*I feel a little guilty listing this one, since it's technically an alien movie (the alien parasites cause the dead to come back to life), but I just love it so dern much that I had to list it. Sorry, folks.

**Amazingly, tyranist had also put Creeps as his number two, completely independent of my list. Same Number One too.

No comments: