Wednesday, October 31, 2007

All Hallow's Week Post 7: Devils

31 October . . . HALLOWEEN

But this is not the end. Halloween is merely All Hallow's EVE, so we'll get one more post in tomorrow for bad measure.

Which reminds me: my aunt really hates Halloween. Ever since I was a child, she rolled her eyes and tsk-ed at my mother for letting us dress up, trick or treat, and deface God's perfect pumpkins. My aunt and her husband continue to tag-team to be more self-righteous and more judgmental of others' values, beliefs, and sources of entertainment, and it has bothered me for a long, long time.

So, in honour of today, that Evilest of All Days in my aunt's eyes, I give you, my Five Favourite Devil-related Horror Movies.

1. The Omen (1976)
2. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
3. Constantine (2005)
4. The Devil's Advocate (1997)
5. Ghost Rider (2007)?


Here's tyranist's list:

1. The Omen
2. Stigmata
3. The Ninth Gate
4. Rosemary's Baby
5. The Devil's Advocate


I think I need to seek out more movies that qualify, if only so I can create a better list someday. I have to admit I never saw The Devils or The Devil Rides Out, or even To The Devil A Daughter, which should use some remedying.

This was difficult because I didn't know specifically where to draw the line. I considered putting down The Stand and Storm of the Century, because I liked both of those Stephen King miniseries (and honestly, because they came up when I did a search using "devil" as a keyword). But The Stand's villain is Randall Flagg, who may be a demon, but isn't the devil, and while "SOTC" has a more Biblical villain, he's still not THE devil, per se, and I felt I had to leave it off.

And Demon Knight was initially on my list, but that too, is a demon and not the devil, darn it.

Disturbing to me was that Ghostbusters came up on that "devil" search. That just makes me sad.

Rish "It's All For You" Outfield

No comments: