Monday, January 14, 2008

More Films I Hate That You Love

My friend Merrill and I watched BATMAN BEGINS the other night. It was the first time I'd seen it since the theatre. A great deal of it is really, really good, but I still didn't love it. I don't know what more to say about that.

Except that it reminded me of my list of popular films I don't care for. I thought about it on the drive home and came up with another list and a half.

So, here are Five More Movies I Hate that You Love:

1. LEGALLY BLONDE
I pretty much despite Reese Witherspoon now. This may have been the first movie that did it.

2. THE GRINCH
A hateful, soulless piece of crap. That it made two hundred and sixty million dollars is incidental . . . but it helps.

3. THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT
I've mentioned before that I got to interview its director a few months back. He was a really nice guy. But man, this movie made me want to kick children.**

4. WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005)
I actually hated this one on opening night. Walking out, I found that my good friend quite liked it. Still, I've never wavered in my loathing, even when I met a couple guys on the set of THE GOOD GERMAN who had nothing but praise for the film. One of them said, and I quote, "You're kidding. That's one of my favorite movies ever."

5. WHAT ABOUT BOB?
This is another I saw in the theatre, back when going to the cinema meant something. But instead of getting angry, it made me very sad. I went to college with people who really, really liked, people like you. Funny, I have never hated Bill Murray in a movie before or since.

*Consider this a warning that a third list should be coming in early February.

**Got any?

No comments: