Thursday, January 03, 2008

Top Five . . . wait, who?

I was watching DAS BOOT tonight for the very first time. It was the Director's Cut, and it was extraordinarily long. About a third of the way through, I thought it would be fun to see what everybody's Top Five Jürgen Prochnow films were.

Unfortunately, when it came time to do my list, I could only think of DAS BOOT. Tyranist reminded me he was in BEERFEST, but I doubt that will make my list.

Tyranist's list was:
1. Dune
2. Beverly Hills Cop II
3. Air Force One
4. The Da Vinci Code
5. In the Mouth of Madness


My cousin Ryan wrote:
Who with the what?

A minute later, he sent me another email, where he admitted to looking Prochnow up to see what films he had done, but claimed not to have seen them. He ended his email with "The sleeper has awakened!" which tyranist suggested should count as a vote for DUNE.

I invited my lawyer friend Ian to participate for the first time, and almost immediately, he gave me:
1. Das Boot
2. Beverly Hills Cop 2
3. Air Force One
4. Judge Dredd
5. The English Patient


Jeff, my fiend back in California, wrote:

1. Das Boot
2. Dune
3. The Keep (Nazi soldiers in an old castle/fortress that hid some demonic force).
4. DaVinci Code.
5. Air Force 1


Sorry, but I'm going to have to look him up. It's only fair.

I guess, thinking it over (and waiting until the end of the movie to compile it), my list would have to be:
1. AIR FORCE ONE
2. THE DA VINCI CODE
3. DAS BOOT
4. IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS
5. TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME

So, if we tally the votes up, it appears the winners were:
1. DAS BOOT
2. AIR FORCE ONE
3. DUNE
4./5. BEVERLY HILLS COP 2/DA VINCI CODE (tie)


This is difficult, sweaty work, kids. Next time, I'll pick someone less obscure. Like Wendy Joe Sperber.

Rish "Das Butt" Outfield

No comments: