Sunday, April 06, 2008

April 6th, 2008

I've spent the weekend babysitting my sister's kid while she goes out and does stalker boyfriend superhero best friend psycho cigarette smoke stuff (I never quite understand these things), and we've had some fun watching DVDs and driving around town.

Last night, we watched all four hours of Peter Jackson's KING KONG extended cut, and my niece made it through the whole thing. Today, she wanted to watch JURASSIC PARK, and about five minutes in, she said, "This is really boring."

And you know, she's right. The first hour of JURASSIC PARK is quite dull (unlike the alien-free first hour of ALIENS, which is free of aliens, but still fascinating), with a lot of setup that doesn't seem totally necessary in retrospect.

But my niece sat and watched it, from the part with the lawyer and amber, to the part with Wayne Knight meeting his contact, to the Sam Neill dinosaur dig scenes. It, apparently, didn't occur to her to skip ahead to the non-boring parts. That impressed me.

It doesn't exactly fill me with hope for her generation, but it's a start.

Rish "All Boring Parts" Outfield

No comments: