Monday, May 12, 2008

Top Five Summer Movies?

12 May 2008

I really should've sent this one out a couple of weeks ago, so that IRON MAN could have made the list. As it stands, I'm not sure if five is too many to ask.

Well, it was really hard for me to come up with the following five (though the other participants seemed to have had less trouble with it):
1. WALL-E (I know I have unreasonable expectations for Pixar's latest work, but these guys have absolutely set themselves up for unreasonable expectations. Plus, the story of this film looks right up my alley)
2. INDIANA JONES IV (silly, silly me, I've somehow started to believe this will be really fun. Now, that's not the same as really good, and George Lucas has certainly fooled me before, but I go see everything Harrison Ford is in, and this will be no exception. Heck, I sat through RANDOM HEARTS. Ick.)
3. THE DARK KNIGHT (it's weird, I didn't really love BATMAN BEGINS, though I recognise it was very well done. I expect the same from this one, and who knows, maybe it'll be like SPIDER-MAN 2 or FANTASTIC FOUR 2, and the arbitrary changes won't bother me as much as they did the first go-round)(which is crazy, since BATMAN BEGINS was the most faithful to the comics of any of the Bat-films. But I feel what I feel)
4. THE INCREDIBLE HULK (you know, I gotta admit that my desire to see this decreases with each trailer that I see. But I really like the Hulk, I like Edward Norton, and their presentation at Comic-Con really made me think the movie would be good. This is probably the iffyiest one on my list, 'cause the outlook isn't good. But I do look forward to a good Hulk movie someday in my lifetime)
5. IRON MAN (ah, what the heck. It was a great movie)

Tyranist was the first to get back to me. This was his list:
1. Hellboy II
2. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
3. WALL-E
4. Prince Caspian
5. (tie) X-Files/Brideshead Revisited

Cousin Ryan was next, claiming that five was pretty easy this summer.
1. The Dark Knight
2. Hellboy 2
3. Iron Man
4. Indy Jones 4
5. Prince Caspian
Big Shot Lawyer Ian responded with three and then two runner-ups. I'll just list them as five.
1. The Dark Knight
2. Indiana Jones
3. The Happening
I'm also excited to see
4. Pineapple Express
5. Tropic Thunder


Jeff the Sadistic Chemist sent me a gigantic list, citing pretty much every single movie coming out this summer and what he thought of it (I'll give you this excerpt: "Kung Fu Panda? oh HELL no. Jack black can suck my schlong."). He finally did end up with three, though he was reluctant.
1. Ironman
2. Wall*E
3. Dark knight


I'm afraid that's going to be me in a couple more years (or a couple more SPEED RACERs).

Prison Guard Johnny surprised me by providing a list that wasn't a week late. His was:
1. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
2. Iron Man
3. Get Smart
4. The Incredible Hulk
5. Kung Fu Panda

Merrill also gave me a lengthy commentary, as he usually does. I'll include his prologue here:
You're a little late with this list, because one of the movies I was looking forward to the most is here. Iron Man would have been number two or three on the list. Maybe, since it came out so early it's not a summer movie after all. Spring movie? Late spring movie? By the way, I recommend to all the millions of readers of your blog to go and see Iron Man, it was like NBA action... Fantastic!
I think, since most people DID end up listing IRON MAN, that I'll go ahead and stick it at the number two spot on his list. Sorry, Prince Caspian.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Iron Man
3. Wall-E
4. Indy 4
5. The Incredible Hulk


My high school buddy Rhett sent me this list:
1. Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull
2. The Dark Knight
3. The Incredible Hulk
4. Iron Man
5. The Clone Wars


Lastly--or what feels like lastly--Beta Ray Charles sent me his list, and while I'd rather choke to death on African baboon spiders than see SPEED RACER, our tastes tend to fall very similarly, so I'll let it go this time.
1. IRON MAN
2. SPEED RACER
3. WALL*E
4. THE DARK KNIGHT
5. PRINCE CASPIAN


There were a couple people who didn't get back to me, but I'm going to go ahead and print the results now. I guess that puts our big winners as:
1. THE DARK KNIGHT
2. IRON MAN
3. INDIANA JONES AND THE LAND OF THE FABLED KINGDOM OF THE ENCHANTED CRYSTAL SKULL OF THE ANCIENTS
4. WALL-E
5. HELLBOY 2: THE GOLDEN ARMY


I'm going to send out the next one right now, so I can be a little quicker with that one.

Rish Bennie Outfield

No comments: