Monday, July 14, 2008

Bottom Five DC Comics Films

Because DARK KNIGHT is about to open, I thought I'd ask, this week, for people's Bottom Five (or Three, if you prefer) DC Comics Films. To help people out, I went to wikipedia, and listed everything I thought qualified (for example, BATMAN: MASK OF THE PHANTASM counts, but GOTHAM KNIGHT does not. Also, the 1951 SUPERMAN AND THE MOLE MEN, from which the TV series was spun off, counts, but the GEN13 TV movie, from which no series spun off does not). I was really surprised to see that movies like THE FOUNTAIN and STARDUST were originally comics, and that A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE, ROAD TO PERDITION, and THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN were all based on comics published by DC.

If I had to pick five bottom feeders, they would be:
1. CATWOMAN
2. BATMAN & ROBIN
3. SUPERMAN IV: THE QUEST FOR PEACE
4. BATMAN FOREVER
and 5. BATMAN (1966)
I think, had I seen STEEL and SUPERGIRL, my answers might change.

Tyranist was first to answer, though he only had these three for me (having not seen many of the rest):
1. Batman and Robin
2. Superman III
3. The Fountain

Cousin Ryan, who is a huge DC fan (I'm not kidding, he's loyal to a fault), gave me this list:
Schumacher Batman & Robin
Superman VI
Superman III
Batman Forever


Jeff the Chemist sent me his list (which included a six, seven, and eight):
Catwoman
Batman & Robin
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
Batman Forever
Supergirl

Merrill's list went like this:
1. Batman and Robin
2. Superman IV
3. Supergirl
4. Superman III
5. Catwoman


Then Merrill reminded me that I had done a list like this just a couple months back, when JUMPER was released. I am heartily sorry for my sins, folks.

Rhett sent me this short:
1. Catwoman
2. Superman IV: The Quest For Peace
3. Batman & Robin


Prison Guard Johnny, true to form, sent his list like this:

27. Batman Returns
28. Superman IV the Quest for Peace
29. Batman and Robin
30. Catwoman
31. Supergirl


I may never forgive him for putting BATMAN RETURNS on the wrong list.

Beta Ray Charles finishes things out with:
5. Superman III
4. Supergirl
(granted, I saw it as a kid, but still...)
3. Batman and Robin
2. Catwoman
1. Steel
(yes, I saw Steel)

So, it appears that this week's big "winners" were:
1. BATMAN & ROBIN
2. CATWOMAN
3. SUPERMAN 4
4. SUPERGIRL
5. SUPERMAN III

Hmmm. Better luck next week.

Rish Outfield

No comments: