Sunday, September 13, 2009

Devilish old photo

My mom gave me a box from our old house that had, among other things, old pictures from my childhood in it. I looked through them, only vaguely remembering the circumstances behind half a dozen of them.

One, though, struck me as particularly strange. When I was in Kindergarten, our school did a Halloween program, and our contribution was all of the girls dressing up as witches, the boys as ghosts, and me . . . as The Devil (which I capitalize out of respect).I have absolutely no memory of this, except for having that devil costume, the horns, and the pitchfork for years afterward.

The only reason I post this is that I find it absolutely mind-boggling that an American elementary school class could present witches and Satan in a school program. Seems like that would get the school burned down in 2009.

Only one way to find out, I guess. My niece is in elementary school right now . . .

Rish "El Diablo" Outfield

1 comment:

Abigail Hilton said...

This doesn't seem likely to get a modern school burned down to me. It does seem likely to make parents complain just because..._all_ the girls are witches? I suppose their other choice was princess. Ugh. Also, one kid all by himself is singled out as the devil? lol... Oh, dear. Both demons and witches are present in so many cultures and religions that I don't see why it has to be a Christian mythos.

Looking through some of my mother's old high school yearbooks many years ago, I ran across a picture (full spread across both pages) of the students parading around in KKK costumes. It was for some kind of talent show, and it was supposed to be a funny joke, apparently condoned by the faculty and given coverage in the yearbook. The past - it is a foreign country.