Tuesday, March 30, 2010

"Backup! We need backup!"

So, Big's computer hard drive was fried, despite it being a Mac, the kind of computer that can't get viruses, can't crap out on its users, and never, ever crashes.

Unfortunately, many hours of sweaty, hard podcasting work was lost.

His wife apparently backed up the stuff she wanted to keep sometime in February, but the stuff we worked on, well, that will be waiting for us in the afterlife, along with Maximus Decimus Meridius's family.

I don't know if this is the first time this has happened to Mssr. Anklevich, but I have had hard drive crashes since time immemorial, the first one happening way back in 1991. Every time I lose data/photos/recordings/pron/writing/games/journal entries/movies, I curse myself for not backing things up better, but there are lessons learned. For example, I used to make a backup disc of all my stories every New Year. Now that things are so much easier, I do it quarterly.

I even recently got one of those portable hard drive things that can hold everything I've ever written and still have room for all episodes of "Friends." Except for the ones with Giovani Ribisi, that is. Unfortunately, I never use it because--gasp!--it requires that I unplug my phone and plug it in to work. Hence, many files that could be backed-up remain . . . un-backed-up.

Rish "Some People Never Learn" Outfield

No comments: