Wednesday, May 26, 2010

writing update

So, I got my first check today for my current writing project.

It's not really a significant amount, but I thought I'd mention here it because a) it's significant anytime I get paid for my writing, and b) because the meeting today went much better than the last one.

Collaboration is a funny thing, since it requires (or should require, anyway) a sharing of ideas, a give and take, a trust and respect of the other party, and a knowledge that working with each other is more productive than working against one another. Of course, what do I know? Maybe a creative tug-o-war and a spirit of competition works just as well.

I don't know if it's hubris or just pig-inorance, but I still feel like the story would be better the way I see it in my head, with no editorial changes from the producer. But he does listen to my ideas, and there weren't any insulting comments (at least that I can recall) in this meeting concerning my abilities or my ideas versus his.

So there's that. But I feel like my work would be better if I felt truly invested in the project, rather than feeling like I dare not get too attached to anything since it can (and probably will) get shot down. I also feel like I'd work harder if I was assured he wasn't just going to hand it to another writer like the last producer did, knowing I was in this for the long haul.

I talked to Jeff about the experience and about my misgivings. Toward the end of the conversation, he told me to either stop being a whiny bitch, or look for a less-competitive line of work than filmmaking. He also asked me what percentage of working screenwriters get to write what they want to, what they most enjoy. It was a fair point.

I guess what I need to do is do my best on this project, hoping that it will open doors for me in the future. And as far as writing what I'm passionate about, I can continue to do that in the stories I normally write, which will never be read by anyone.

Rish "Storysmith" Outfield

No comments: