Friday, January 13, 2012

American Horror Story

A few years ago, my Irish friend John said something that has stuck with me ever since. He said, "I would probably kill myself, except I really want to see what happens next."

It was an odd thing to say, and I never really knew if he was joking around when he said it (I suspect not), but it came to mind again and again. During dark moments, I have thought of his words, and wondered about what I'd miss out on if I wasn't around. And thusfar, dammit, I'm still here.

One thing I would've missed out on was 2011's "American Horror Story," an honest-to-Hitchcock Horror series on cable's FX Network. Created by the men behind FOX's equally horrific "Glee," it was a haunted house series about a dysfunctional, nearly-broken family, and what happens when the two mix. And it was, honest-to-Punky-Brewster, unlike any show I've ever seen.

And I bloody loved it. I watched it with my friend Jeff, lagging behind the actual airdates, and while I know I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than he did (sometimes I got the impression he flat-out loathed it), he kept on watching it with me until we reached the end just this week.

I guess he felt he owed me after THE FANTASTIC MR. FOX.

But regardless, I really dug the show, and admired the skillful way they kept the family members from realizing the house was haunted, and introduced some really surprising twists, and some truly wonderful black humor.

Oh, and the show was legitimately scary. Something I quite appreciated.

I'm glad I didn't miss it, even if my friend feels differently.

Rish "You're All Gonna Die In There" Outfield

No comments: