Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Past Is Gone

"Everytime I look in the mirror,
All these lines in my face gettin' clearer;
The past is gone,
It went by, like dusk to dawn."
                     Aerosmith

So, yesterday, a ghastly thing happened to me.

No, not realizing I would die alone--that was long ago--but something along those lines.

I was standing at the checkout line, buying a pair of AVENGERS figures and a DARK KNIGHT RISES figure, and the guy running the register was a young man. He looked like a regular guy, though, and I figured he was about my age, or a couple years younger, like my cousin. A peer, in other words.

He made a comment about the toys I was buying ("Guess you like those movies a lot") and I said I did, then made the mistake of asking if he was a fan.

"Well, my mom and dad are really strict about movies," he said. "They wouldn't let me see them."

I'm not sure I could've been more shocked if he had said, "Instead of movies, I like to take a shovel to the cemetery and dig up some grub."

Rish "Sucks Getting Old" Outfield

No comments: