Tuesday, July 09, 2013

My story "Outgoing Transmissions" on the "Journey Into..." podcast

Or perhaps I should have typed it, My "Story" on the "Journey Into..." podcast.

When I sent Marshal Latham my short piece "Outgoing Transmissions" months ago, I had no doubt he would get a kick out of it.  I also knew he wouldn't run it on his show, because it's not really a story, it's two terrible things: 1) a joke, and 2) fan fiction.

But Marshal did accept it, and this week, he's run it on his podcast.

And he was totally right to do so.  You know how I know?  Because it somehow inspired him to make his already rad theme song (by Man In Space) even MORE rad.  When I heard the opening, it made me glad to be alive . . . or what passes for living in my experience.

Basically, "Outgoing Transmissions" is a not-at-all tongue-in-cheek epistolary tale of a Stormtrooper writing home to his young son.   I'm sure there's at least one inaccuracy in there somewhere, but it ain't the part about the timeline; that the Prequels got wrong. 

I think it turned out well.  Here's the link: http://journeyintopodcast.blogspot.com/2013/07/journey-74-outgoing-transmissions-by.html



Fan fiction is a funny thing.  Just yesterday, I saw on somebody's website the original artwork for what became the novel "Fifty Shades of Grey," featuring Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson.  A lot of folks say writing fan fiction is non-creative and unprofessional, but a lot of other folks (maybe some of the same folks) say it flexes your creative muscles and is fun to play in another writer's sandbox.  A friend of mine talks about writing stories about Harry Potter's parents and Sirius and Snape and Wormtail when they were students at Hogwarts, and I'd rather read that than ANYTHING ELSE EVER WRITTEN BY THE HAND OF MAN OR WOMAN.

But that's just me.

MTFBWY,

Rish Outfield

No comments: