Sunday, May 10, 2015

Dry Run Update 3

Alright, I'm back.  I'll be brief.

Gino asked me what the story's genre is.  Turns out, this is another Western, but with another element at play.  Unfortunately, it's gonna be a loooooot of Western before we ever hit that second genre.  But ah well.

Okay, "Into the Furnace" sounds fine to me as a title for this tale.  I suppose it's a play on "out of the furnace and into the fire," but that might not even be a saying (I remember in The Hobbit, Tolkein said, "Out of the frying pan and into the fire," which was the first time I'd heard that, but like I said, I dunno).

The story is going well, if slowly.  I have written five or six days of the last week, and though I know I'll need to go through it and add some more details (the description of, well, everything, is pretty sparse, pretty sketchy), I like what I've written so far.  In fact, if I'd typed the damned thing up already, I'd have sent it to Big to see what he thinks.*

But, as I've promised, here's how the writing meter looks right now:



That's not great, only five percent finished, but I rest in the knowledge that I've actually written much more than that (twice or thrice, easily), and I haven't hit any major obstacles, except for misplacing my notebook on one day, and diverting off the path last Sunday by coming up with another story I wanted to write while at work, and then forcing myself to finish that one during my regular "Dry Run" writing time.

If this is how the novel-writing goes this summer, I will be slow (too slow, maybe), but I'll be steady.  And that's who wins the race, right?  That one I know is a saying.

Rish Outfield

*Of course, on the off-chance he didn't like it, I'd be too afraid to read his comments until I'd finished the story, and that would be a waste of his time, wouldn't it?  Guess what I'm really after is somebody reading it and saying, "Golly, Mister Outfield, this story's swell!  I can't wait to find out what happens next!"  I'm a sad little man.

No comments: